At Coimbra last week I presented some ideas about tourism as I've been traveling almost nonstop for the last six months. The slides are too heavy to upload (with my present devices) as it is packed with images of refugees traveling and Ai Weiwei's images. I've started out with Hakim Bey's Overcoming Tourism and moved to an economic analysis of the construction of the tourist object that precedes the actual tourists. They want to see things already prepared for them. Then I finished up with Byung-Chul Han's remarks on transparency applied to tourism. Tourism is a central locus for the friction between the locals and the globals - this is why I'm interested in the tourist guide, in the tourist interfaces that builds up the attraction from behind the scene. Presentation was at the Epistemologies of the South conference organized by Boaventura Sousa Santos and his group.
I´ve been wondering about whether we can formulate something about contingency along the lines of a principle of irreduction: aucune chose n´est par elle-même contingent ou necessaire . The principle asserts that necessity is always contingent on underlying fixed things: something is physically necessary (or contingent) given the fixed laws of nature, something is deontically contingent - allowed - or necessary - mandatory - given the fixed ethical rules (or laws of the land). Finally, something is logically necessary (or necessary simpliciter) given a fixed logic. The irreducible diversity of ethical rules, the absence of eternal laws of nature and the plurality of logical systems, if accepted, makes necessity relative to those parameters. An aggiornamento of Heraclitus would have that nothing is necessary comes what may. Surely, of couse, if there is no absolute necessity, there is no absolute contingency. We can then say that in a broader, more abstract level, things are up for grab...
Comments
Post a Comment